History and museums
Riga Cathedral (Latvian: Rīgas Doms; German: Dom zu Riga) is the Evangelical Lutheran cathedral in Riga, Latvia. It is the seat of the Archbishop of Riga.
The cathedral is one of the most recognizable landmarks in Latvia, and is featured in or the subject of paintings, photographs and television travelogues. Like all of the ancient churches of the city, it is known for its weathercock.
The church is commonly called the Dome Cathedral, a tautology as the word 'Dome' comes from the German Dom meaning 'cathedral'.
Built near the River Daugava in 1211 by Livonian Bishop Albert of Riga, who came from Lower Saxony in northwestern Germany, it is considered the largest medieval church in the Baltic states. It has undergone many modifications in the course of its history.
David Caspari was rector of the cathedral school in the late 17th century. His son Georg Caspari also served at the cathedral.
Religious services were prohibited during the Soviet occupation from 1959 to 1989, and the cathedral was used as a concert hall.
In 2011 the copper roofing above the nave was replaced. In 2015 the tower exterior was also re-plated and it's wododen support structure renewed.
The organ of the Riga Cathedral was built by E.F. Walcker & Sons of Ludwigsburg, Baden-Württemberg, Germany, in 1882–83, and was inaugurated on 31 January 1884. It has four manuals and one pedalboard. It plays 116 voices, 124 stops, 144 ranks, and 6718 pipes. It includes 18 combinations and General Crescendo. A tape of Latvian composer Lūcija Garūta playing the organ for a cantata during World War II captured the sound of battle nearby.
The Riga Dom Cathedral Boys Choir has performed internationally, recording the Riga Mass by Uģis Prauliņš and other works.