History and museums
Rue Es-Siaghine (meaning Silversmith's Street) is a street in Tangier, Morocco. It was once the "decumanus maximus", the main thoroughfare of the city under Roman Empire rule. Today the street is lined with cafes and bars and souvenir shops. The street led from the harbor through the south gate. At No.47 Rue Es-Siaghine is a former administrative building noted for its courtyard growing oranges. From 1860 to 1923 the building served as the residence of the naib, the Moroccan high official who served as an intermediary between the sultan and foreign ambassadors. At No.51 is the Church of the Immaculate Conception (Tangier), which was built by the Spanish in the 1880s and became the centre of the Christian community in Tangier. At No. 44 is the Fondation Lorin, an arts centre which is also located along the street with displays dating back to the 1930s.
The street leads down into the Petit Socco in the medina of Tangier.