San Donnino (Pisa), Italy | CruiseBe
0
No votes yet

San Donnino (Pisa)


History and museums
,
attractions, sightseeing, culture, church, cathedral



San Donnino is a church in Pisa, Italy.

A church was known at the site since 1242, and construction of the present structure began in 1303. It was adjacent to a Benedictine Monastery. In 1575, Cardinal Ferdinando de' Medici conceded the monastery to the Capuchin. Gravely damaged during World War II, it was restored until.

The interior contains frescoes of the Madonna and child and a wooden crucifix, both from the 14th century. It also has canvases by Giovanni Bilivert (1636) and Giovanni Battista Tempesti (1770). Here, before the Allied aerial bombings, was the tomb of the Pisan architect Alessandro Gherardesca.




Text is available under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0