History and museums
Church of Saint Caterina (Italian: Chiesa di Santa Caterina) is a baroque church located in the centre of Livorno, in the district of New Venice. Its dome is 63 metres (207 ft) high making it higher than the Leaning Tower of Pisa.
The church was built from 1720 to 1753 according Giovanni Del Fantasia's project. The church opened to public in 1753 even if the facade was incomplete. Perhaps the bell tower was designed by Ferdinando Fuga.
The church has an octagonal plan and a few side chapels. The dome is completely frescoed by Cesare Maffei, making it one of the biggest frescoed churches of Tuscany. The altar chapel of the church contains a painting by Giorgio Vasari.