Santa Maria Assunta dei Pignatelli, Naples
History and museums
Santa Maria Assunta dei Pignatelli is a church in Naples, Italy located at the end of Via Nilo.
The church was first built in the 14th century by the Pignatelli family from Toritto as a private chapel attached to their Palazzo Pignatelli di Toritto; it was reconstructed and enlarged in 1477 and 1736. The interior was as well was frescoed by Fedele Fischetti in the second half of the 18th century. He also painted the Assumption on the main altar. To the left of the altar is the Renaissance tomb of Carlo Pignatelli by Angelo Aniello Fiore. To the right of the altar once stood a painting by Bartolomè Ordonez, now in the Capodimonte Museum. The church is in need of restoration.
In the small piazza in front of the church is an ancient Roman statue of the Nile God.