Santa Maria del Carmine, Pisa
History and museums
Santa Maria del Carmine is a church in Pisa, Italy.
The church was originally built for the Carmelite order in 1324-1328. By 1425, it was decorated with a famed, now dispersed, polyptich by Masaccio . Only one table of the altar remains in Pisa in the National Museum of San Matteo. The church itself underwent many reconstructions across the centuries. The present simple façade was designed by Alessandro Gherardesca, in the 1830s. The interior has an organ by Andrea Ravani made in 1613, and an altar with painting by Baccio Lomi, Aurelio Lomi, Santi di Tito, Alessandro Allori, Francesco Curradi, and Andrea Boscoli.