Shrine of St. Therese
History and museums
Shrine of St. Therese of Lisieux overlooks the Lynn Canal in Juneau, Alaska, US. Situated on 46 acres, the site contains a stone chapel, crypt, labyrinth, columbarium, lodge, cabin, and retreat. In 1925, St. Therese was named the patroness of Alaska. In the 1930s, the Jesuit priest, Father William LeVasseur came up with the idea of a retreat center in her name. Bishop Joseph Raphael John Crimont provided support for its establishment. Thousands of stones were used to construct the chapel and other structures, which were gathered by volunteers. The first mass was held in 1941.