Sir George-etienne Cartier Square
History and museums
Sir George-Étienne Cartier Square (French: Square Sir-George-Étienne-Cartier) is a town square in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. It is located in the Saint-Henri neighbourhood of the borough of Le Sud-Ouest.
It is a small rectangular square with a fountain in the middle, woods in the northern part and a pool in the southern part. It is surrounded by rowhouses.
Named after politician George-Étienne Cartier, it was built in 1912 on the site of the old west-end slaughterhouse. When Saint-Henri was annexed of the city of Montreal in 1905, the construction of this square was an election promise made by Hormidas Laporte, the Mayor of Montreal at the time. According to the regulations adopted during the realization of the square, the houses around the square were to be built with stone façades and decorative brick.
Restored in 2003, the fountain that occupies the center of the square was installed for the opening of the square in 1912. The different components of the fountain were ordered by catalog from J. L. Mott Iron Works foundry of New York.