History and museums
Skagen Lighthouse (Danish: Skagen Fyr), also known as Skagen's Grey Lighthouse (Det Grå Fyr), is an active lighthouse 4 km (2.5 mi) northeast of Skagen in the far north of Jutland, Denmark. Designed by architect Niels Sigfred Nebelong, it was brought into operation on 1 November 1858.
Skagen's first lighthouse, the White Lighthouse (Det Hvide Fyr), designed by Philip de Lange and completed in 1747, was the first lighthouse in Denmark to be built in brick. The Skagen Lighthouse which replaced it consists of an unpainted round brick tower with a lantern and gallery, reaching a height of 151 ft (46 m). The two-storey keeper's house to which it is attached is painted bright yellow. When it was built it was more or less at the centre of the Skagen Odde peninsula, but as a result of coastal erosion, it is now very near the Kattegat coast to the southeast.
The lighthouse has a two-ton rotating lens resting on mercury. Originally there was a five-wicked paraffin lamp which was successively replaced with a 1,000 Watt then a 1,500 Watt electric lamp. Today there is a 400 Watt sodium lamp which every four seconds can be seen up to 37 km (20 mi) away.
Until 1952 Skagen Lighthouse was the country's tallest. Dueodde Lighthouse on Bornholm is now just one meter higher.
In 2016 the lighthouse will be launched as a new international bird station with ornithologists working at the location. Skagen and the Grenen area is known for its wide range of migrating birds and eagles, so the lighthouse is a perfect place for birdwatching.