South Australian Maritime Museum
History and museums
The South Australian Maritime Museum, which incorporates the Port Adelaide Nautical Museum, is located in an historic warehouse in Lipson Street, Port Adelaide. The Museum is housed in the former Elders Bond & Free Stores; a joined pair of Victorian warehouses. These bluestone buildings were built mostly between 1854–c1863. They were used as a warehouse until the 1970s when they began housing the Port Auction Mart. The site was purchased in 1980 by the State Government, during a program to redevelop the suburb. It was listed in July 1980 as a State Heritage Place. The buildings were restored, and converted to their current use, as part of the 1986 Jubilee 150 celebration.
Within the museum is a reconstructed ketch and displays showing the accommodation for ship travelling migrants. The Museum houses the Port Adelaide Nautical Museum Collection. At the Port Adelaide Institute a diverse curio collection was formed into a museum from 1872. It was changed to specialise in maritime objects in 1933. The collection is displayed in its original Victorian cabinets.
The South Australian Maritime Museum has a collection of 25 historic vessels of various sizes, most of which are in storage. The collection includes the steam tug Yelta and the former police launch Archie Badenoch, which are both still afloat and used for harbour cruises; the ketch Nelcebee, the oldest powered ship in Australia, is on hardstand on Dock 2.
Other historic ships are owned by the Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure. These include the 1919-built ketch Falie, now berthed beside the Australian Fisheries Academy, just west of the Birkenhead Bridge, and the tall ship One and All, built in Port Adelaide in 1985 as part of the state's 150th jubilee project and used for sail training, which is currently berthed at the Royal SA Yacht Squadron's marina at Outer Harbor.