St. John's Cathedral
History and museums
St. John the Baptist Cathedral or the Cathedral of Anglican Diocese of Belize is an Anglican cathedral in the city of Belize City, Belize. Built from 1812 to 1820 with bricks that had been used as ballast aboard ships, it was the first church to be built in the colony of British Honduras.
Initially a parish church, St. John's Church became St. John's Cathedral in 1891, a few years after the Diocese of Belize had been erected. It has numerous alterations dating to more recent renovations. The exterior of the church is of brick; the interior is fitted out in mahogany and sapodilla.
It is a historical landmark of Belize from the colonial influence of the country's past. Attached to the church is the oldest cemetery in the country, Yarborough Cemetery. It was built by the British using slave labour.