Sumburgh Head Lighthouse
History and museums
Sumburgh Head Lighthouse is a lighthouse on Sumburgh Head at the southern tip of the Mainland of Shetland.
The lighthouse was built by Robert Stevenson in 1821. The light was automated in 1991 and the keepers' houses were converted into holiday accommodation. The lighthouse complex also has offices for the RSPB who look after the bird reserve which surrounds the lighthouse.
The Northern Lighthouse Board operate the light, whilst the Shetland Amenity Trust own the site and plan to restore the lighthouse facilities and build a visitor centre. The lighthouse is protected as a category A listed building.