Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery
History and museums
The Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery (TMAG) is a museum located in Hobart, Tasmania. The museum was established in 1843, by the Royal Society of Tasmania under the leadership of Sir John Franklin, the oldest Royal Society outside of England. It receives 300,000 visitors annually.
In 1885, TMAG became a Government authority under the control of a Board of Trustees that also controlled the Royal Tasmanian Botanical Gardens. By statute, it is now controlled by a Board of Trustees, and is currently part of the Department of Economic Development, Tourism and the Arts.
TMAG has a number of associated bodies including the TMAG Foundation, Friends of the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery and TMAGgots.
In addition to the main campus, TMAG includes three external sites: a herbarium, a storage an research facility, and the Moonah Workshop.
The museum and art gallery reopened to the public on 15 March 2013, after a four-month closure for redevelopment works.