Tenerife is a favored destination for scuba divers, with numerous dive operations of all qualities and nationalities. The waters around the island are diveable throughout the year, with the temperature varying between 18 degrees in January to around 25-26 degrees in August. Go around the harbor wall in Puerto de la Cruz for fantastic volcanic rock formations, or feed the stingrays at Las Galletas for something a bit different.
Water sports are available in the south including surfing, windsurfing, speed boat parascending, and jet-ski. Nowhere seems to rent canoes.
Santa Cruz has a big market by the station on Sunday mornings. Las Americas has one Thursday and Saturday and Los Cristianos on Sundays. Santa Cruz has a number of museums and an art gallery. Also a space museum and planetarium on a small scale near La Laguna.
Visit the beautiful old towns of La Orotava
and La Laguna, the latter being a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Visit the world-class botanical garden just above Puerto de la Cruz.
Barranco del Infierno
(Hell's Ravine), close to Adeje popular with hikers, you need to book to go on the walk. There is little to see but the vegetation on this walk and a TINY waterfall at its end. (Path currently closed due to the danger of falling rocks and risk of fatal accidents.)
The most western point is Punta de Teno with excellent views.
Of course, many visitors just want to spend their time on a beach or by the hotel swimming pool. Playa Americas beach is black volcanic sand, but Los Cristianos is yellow imported sand. The black sand feels the same as the yellow, but can be much hotter when sunny and is not as pleasing to look at too many. Beaches often have sun-loungers with parasols available to hire for the day, but if you are doing this for a few days it is probably better to just buy a parasol and some beach mats.
In February there is a huge fancy dress parade by locals which is said to be third in size after Rio and Notting Hill carnivals.
Tenerife is an excellent destination for hiking. There are routes for anyone, from leisurely one hour strolls to extremely strenuous full day hikes in demanding terrain with either a huge ascent, descent or both. There are several books describing hiking routes, such as two Landscapes of Tenerife books from Sunflower Books, one covering the northern side and the other covering the southern side. It's a good idea to get a guide book before you go to Tenerife, as they might be difficult to find there.
Tenerife attracts a large number of cyclists all year around. Whether mountain biking, roadbiking or riding an electric bike, Tenerife has plenty of beautiful roads and dirt tracks. If you want to avoid the hassle of bringing your own bike, you can rent bikes on the island, for example in Las Americas or El Médano
The island is quickly becoming an important winter destination for cross-country and enduro mountain biking, as on average it enjoys sunny skies and warm temperatures when Europe's bike resorts are covered in mud and snow. Exploring the island on a mountain bike is a rewarding experience, thanks to the great diversity of terrain, vegetation, and elevation. Little compares to a descent through lava fields and Canary pines to the beach in time to sip a beer at sunset. Guiding businesses will take you safely on Tenerife's best trails.
- Club Activo Cycling, Hotel Las Dalias, s/n, 38660 Adeje, Gran Bretaña nº 1 (Costa Adeje), +34 669624373. Guided cycling tours in Tenerife South.
- Galatea Sailing, Puerto Colón, s/n, 38660 Adeje, Dock 3 (Costa Adeje), +34 609626431. Sailing excursions and private Charter in Tenerife South.
- Eden Catamaran, CC Puerto Colón, local 129C (Costa Adeje), +34 922 712993. Offers whale and dolphin watching trips.
- Bike Point Tenerife, Avda.Quinto Centenario s/n, Edificio las terrazas, 38660 Las Americas, Tenerife (Opposite of the police station in Las Americas, Magma and bus station), (+34)922176273. Bike Point Tenerife- Rental, Biketours & Shop.
- Bike Point Tenerife, Avda.Quinto Centenario s/n, Edificio las terrazas,38660 Las Americas (Opposite of the police station Las Americas, bus station and Magma), (+34)922176273. Biketours, Rental & Shop in Las Americas and El Medano.
- Fluyendo Tenerife (All Mountain/XC MTB guided excursions in Tenerife). Enduro/XC guided rides. Logistic support for photoshooting. One-day or multi-day packages to explore every corner of the island during your vacation.
- Tenerife Swim, +34657102948. For private swim tuition and personal training across Tenerife.
- hybrid BIKES (ELECTRIC bikes Tenerife), Tenerife South, (+34)651419856. Rentals of e-bikes - electric mountain bikes - with mountain gears & powerful 20Ah battery. Rent-a-bike service includes delivery to the hotel.