Tivoli Friheden Aarhus, Denmark | CruiseBe
Average: 9.6 (17 votes)

Tivoli Friheden

Natural sights
sightseeing, parks, walking

Tivoli Friheden is an amusement park located in Aarhus, Denmark. The park was visited by more than 365,000 visitors in 2009, and the figure is rising. The park is situated about 2 km to the south of the city centre. It has several themed sections with different types of attractions. There are more than 40 attractions.

The water section (Tivoli VanDvittig) covering an area of 5,000 m2.


In 1903 the citizens of Aarhus went on Sunday picnics to the woods where the forester served beer, coffee and cakes. The forester was so engaged with the restaurant that the city council was concerned that the forester was more of a restaurateur than a forester. In result the council gave one of the city’s restaurants permission to serve on the visitors in the woods.

On July 31, 1904 Hans Rising received permission from the town council to build a pavilion and two months later the Restaurant Terrassen was ready. The pavilion was designed by architect S. F. Kühnel, who also designed Mejlborg Aarhus Centrum. The restaurant became popular in short time. Since 1909 concerts took place in every Sunday. Some contemporary artists like Lauritz Melchior or Gerda Christoffersen made shows. In 1927 Hans Rising erected the large hall. It was later turned into a theatre.

After the World war I swings and children's slides are installed, the restaurant became a place of meeting for several festivals folk music.

In 1949, the park opened mini-golf. In 1950 pedal boats and a large chess game in front of the restaurant were introduced.

In 1954, after 50 working years, Hans Rising leave the restaurant and the city council engage the restaurateur Dan Christophersen, who was also compositor and manager of cabaret. There had been many different owners of Tivoli Friheden. In 1958 the municipality Århus and the owner signed a partnership.

On 2 May 1958 the enclosed amusement park was opened with a resounding success of over 400.000 visitors.

In 1984 local authority fully took over the operation.

Text is available under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0