Tour de Porto
History and museums
The Tour de Porto (Corsican: Torra di Portu) is a ruined Genoese tower located in the commune of Ota (Corse-du-Sud) on the west coast of the French island of Corsica. The tower sits at an elevation of 45 m in the Golfe de Porto.
The construction of the Tour de Porto began in around 1551. It was one of a series of coastal defences constructed by the Republic of Genoa between 1530 and 1620 to stem the attacks by Barbary pirates. The tower was one of the earliest towers built on the west coast of Corsica. The design of the tower is unusual in being square rather than round. It is owned by the department and in 1946 was listed as one of the official historical monuments of France.