United States lightship Columbia (WLV-604), Astoria, Oregon | CruiseBe
9.2
Average: 9.2 (10 votes)

BigBen212 - Own">
United States Lighthouse Service - This file was derived from:  USLHS">
Elf at English Wikipedia - Transferred from en.wikipedia to Commons by Werewombat">
http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html ||| GNU Free Documentation License

United States lightship Columbia (WLV-604)


History and museums
,
sightseeing, landmark, museum



United States lightship Columbia (WLV-604) is a lightship located in Astoria, Oregon, United States of America. Columbia was formerly moored near the mouth of the Columbia River.

 

History

Commissioned in 1951, Columbia was the fourth and final lightship stationed at the mouth of the Columbia River. Built by Rice Brothers Shipyard in Boothbay, Maine, Columbia was launched with her sister-ship, Relief (WLV-605). The new WLV-604 replaced the aging Columbia vessel No. 90, which had been in service on the Columbia River since 1939. The Columbia River lightships guided vessels across the Columbia River Bar and an area known as the Graveyard of the Pacific from 1892 until 1979. Columbia was the final lightship to be decommissioned on the U.S. West coast. She was replaced by an automated navigational buoy soon after. The buoy has since been retired.

Because of its importance, the Coast Guard had a permanent 18 man crew stationed on board, consisting of 17 enlisted men and one warrant officer who served as ship's captain. Everything the crew needed had to be on board. In the winter, weeks of rough weather prevented any supplies from being delivered. Life on board the lightship was marked by long stretches of monotony and boredom intermixed with riding gale force storms. The crew worked two to four week rotations, with ten men on duty at all times.

In 1983, Columbia was added to the National Register of Historic Places. She was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1989 under the name Lightship WAL-604, "Columbia". WLV-604 is now located at the Columbia River Maritime Museum, alongside the navigational buoy that replaced her in 1979.


http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html ||| GNU Free Documentation Licensehttp://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html ||| Public domainhttp://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/ ||| Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0


Text is available under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0

Latest posts