History and museums
The Valldemossa Charterhouse (Catalan: Cartoixa de Valldemossa, translatable as: Carthusian Monastery of Valldemossa) is a former Carthusian monastery in Valldemossa, Majorca.
The charterhouse was founded as a royal residence and later converted into a monastery of the Carthusian order. The monastery existed from 1399 until its secularisation in 1835 under the Ecclesiastical Confiscations of Mendizábal.
The monastery is a museum today, consisting of the main church which is still in use, the old pharmacy, various cells and rooms of the prior and the monks, the former library, dining room, garden, as well as the cells No. 2 and No. 4 of the Polish composer Frédéric Chopin in 1838 to 1839, and the French writer George Sand.
Media related to Valldemossa Charterhouse at Wikimedia Commons