Vår Frue Church
History and museums
Vår Frue Church (Norwegian: Vår Frue kirke / English: Our Lady's Church) is a Lutheran parish church in the municipality of Trondheim in Sør-Trøndelag county, Norway.
Vår Frue Church is located in the Midtbyen area of Trondheim, just a few blocks north of the Nidaros Cathedral. The church is part of the Nidaros og Vår Frue parish in the Nidaros deanery of the Diocese of Nidaros with the Church of Norway.
Vår Frue Church is a stone structure, designed in the Romanesque and Gothic architectural style. The oldest part of the church dates from the 12th century. Following the Protestant Reformation, the church was expanded westward, with the masonry in the original eastern parts preserved. The church was rebuilt after fires during the 15th, 16th and 17th centuries. Vår Frue Church was restored in 1739. The tower was built in 1742 with the spire erected in 1779. Much of the Baroque and Rococo interior were removed by restoration in the 1880s, led by Christian Christie, who also worked on the restoration of the Nidaros Cathedral.