History and museums
Wat Ratchanatdaram (Thai: วัดราชนัดดาราม or Wat Ratchanatda School; IPA: wát râːt.tɕʰa.nát.daːraːm) is a buddhist temple (wat) located at the intersection between Ratchadamnoen Klang and Maha Chai Road, in Phra Nakhon district, Bangkok. Meaning Temple of the Royal Niece, the temple was built to the order of King Nangklao (Rama III) for the princess granddaughter, Somanass Waddhanawathy (พระเจ้าหลานเธอ พระองค์เจ้าโสมนัสวัฒนาวดี) in 1846.
The temple is best known for the Loha Prasat (โลหะปราสาท), a multi-tiered structure 36 m high and having 37 metal spires, signifying the 37 virtues toward enlightenment. It is the third Loha Prasada (brazen palace) in existence, modelled after the earlier ones in India and Anuradhapura, Sri Lanka. In the past, Loha Prasat was hidden behind an old movie theatre named Chaloem Thai. The theatre was demolished in 1989 as a project to improve scenery along Ratchadamnoen Road.
In 2005, the temple was submitted to UNESCO for consideration as a future World Heritage Site.