Wellington Botanic Garden
The Wellington Botanic Garden, Wellington, New Zealand, covers 25 hectares of land on the side of the hill between Thorndon and Kelburn, near central Wellington.
The garden features 25 hectares of protected native forest, conifers, plant collections and seasonal displays. They also feature a variety of non-native species, including an extensive Rose Garden. It is classified as a Garden of National Significance by the Royal New Zealand Institute of Horticulture.
The Wellington Cable Car runs between Lambton Quay and the top of the Botanic Garden, and it is the most direct way to get from the top part of the garden to Wellington's Central Business District.
The winding hill paths of the Garden are a popular spot for Wellington residents. It is used for walking, jogging and taking children to the playground, and tourists enjoy meandering through the Garden's many collections via the downhill path to the city.
The Gardens feature a large Victorian-style glasshouse, the Begonia House, the Lady Norwood Rose Garden and the Treehouse Visitor Centre. There is a large children's play area, a duck pond, and even glowworms visible some nights along paths in the Main Garden - there are monthly tours during autumn-spring (the Garden is otherwise closed at night).
Large sculptures and carvings are located throughout the garden. These are by artists such as Henry Moore, Andrew Drummond and Chris Booth.
The Wellington City Council organises events during spring and summer months, such as free concerts in the Sound Shell.
The Wellington Botanic Garden is home to several organisations, including:
The Garden was first established in 1868. It was initially managed by the New Zealand Institute, who planted conifers as part of a programme to import plant species and assess their potential for economic benefit to New Zealand. The Wellington City Council began managing the garden in 1891, developing various parts of the garden such as: