Wellington Cathedral of St Paul
History and museums
This article relates to the Anglican Cathedral of Wellington, New Zealand. For the two other Wellington Cathedrals see: Sacred Heart Cathedral (Catholic) and Cathedral of the Annunciation of the Virgin Mary (Greek Orthodox)
The Wellington Cathedral of St Paul is the cathedral church of the Anglican Diocese of Wellington, New Zealand and the seat of its bishop of Wellington.
Construction began in 1955, and was completed in 1998. It was constructed in reinforced concrete due to the effects of the 1931 Napier earthquake, making other choices impractical. It began functioning as a cathedral in 1964.
The wooden Lady Chapel is on the "north" side of the cathedral. The Lady Chapel was moved to Wellington Cathedral from its original site in Paraparaumu in 1990.
The first Church of St Paul stood behind where the Beehive stands today. This served as the first Anglican parish church for the early settlers.
The second (popularly known as "Old St. Paul's") was begun behind the Pipitea Marae in 1855, and was the pro-cathedral church for the Anglican Diocese of Wellington from 1866 to 1964. It is still consecrated, owned by the New Zealand Historic Places Trust.
The main entrance to the cathedral is on Hill Street in Thorndon, at its junction with Molesworth Street. Another prominent entrance is in Molesworth Street, just round the corner.